Saturday, November 8, 2008

Dr. Zand...

...is the name of an orthodontist's office on the border of Glendale/Burbank. This office used to be able to be seen on San Fernando Rd. and I always remember driving by it with it's huge billboard with Dr. Zand's name on it. Now, there's an apartment complex in front of it and you can't see the sign from San Fernando Rd. But I remeber that every time I passed it, I was reminded of The Great Gatsby, with the eye doctor's advertisement looking over the giant field and how it was supposed to represent some higher being/force looking down on the world. I guess I always related Dr. Zand's advertisement to the one in that story and looked at it as that higher being/force was smiling down on the world. This always reminds me just how important literature is in our lives. Literature takes stories and gives you something to relate to the real world. Any one thing that you see can remind you of a favorite story and take you to a happy place in your mind. I love having those sweet, happy little getaways from such a stressful world.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Great observation! I feel nostalgic when I see old signs like that because it evokes memories of a time past. And literature? I'm so glad that people keep it an important part of their lives. This post makes me very happy! :)