Thursday, September 30, 2010

Life...struggling with the "wait and see."

So life these past few months has been, I guess, interestingly difficult. It's had it's ups and downs but it hasn't been boring at all. Let's start with my family. My dad has been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. He doesn't have to take insulin, but needs to change his diet and take medication for it. He's also been diagnosed with a thyroid problem and has yet to really change his diet. It's kind of frustrating because I don't think he understands the severity of the issue. He's supposed to take his medication at certain times and he rarely does which means that the medication is not working to its full potential. But, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he will get on track with it soon. We'll have to wait and see. My Aunt Cheryl has (as those of you who read my blog know) been struggling with her cancer. A few weeks ago she was told that the cancer has pretty much completely taken over her abdomen and she's got 6 months if she doesn't have any treatment. Well, like in true "Cheryl" fashion, she is opting for treatment. She started chemo this week and is already completely wiped out due to her frail state and the doctor wants to have her start radiation soon. She's already said that she doesn't think she can handle it and given the fact that she was admitted to the hospital yesterday, I'm starting to think that too. One surprising thing is that she has decided to take Marinol (the pill form of Marijuana) to hopefully increase her appetite but because of the hospital thing, that may not happen. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

Now, school. I'm doing well in Statistics. It's amazing what reading the book more thoroughly and not having a show or other classes to distract you can do. I got an 88% on my first test and I hope that continues. I'm still upset that I have to be at GCC another year but it's part of God's plan so I'm learning to roll with it. I'm really trying not to get distracted by things that will take my focus off of this class so that I can pass and not have to worry about this class ever again. But, I have decided that next semester, I will take some classes that I formerly took and dropped, so I can get those W's off my transcripts and boost my GPA. There may be time for one last show in there too. We'll (again) have to wait and see.

God's plan. I've recently discovered the answer to why God wanted me to stay here. It was last week, just after we had heard the news about Aunt Cheryl. My mom was crying and said, "I can't imagine my life without her. She's been such a big part of my support system over these last 40+ years." And that's true. Right from the beginning of their friendship, Aunt Cheryl has been a big support for my mom - from the death of her father less than 2 months after they met, to everything that happened to my sister (which Aunt Cheryl is her God mother), to being the support for my mom when both of my grandmothers died. Every step of the way, she's been there for my mom, and now my mom has to struggle with what may happen without Aunt Cheryl. I believe that's why God kept me here, so that my mom would not be alone in this. He's keeping me here to help the entire family through what possibly could happen in the next few months. I'm not happy about it but I'm greatful now that I know why I had to stay. I'm also here for Kelly Anne, as this whole thing has been very difficult for her to deal with, especially since she broke up with Frank. There's still a possibility for Aunt Cheryl but it's very low. Once more, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

No comments: